Z64

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Check out and improve the wiki!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Random junk  (Read 17858 times)

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 136250978
    • View Profile
Random junk
« on: September 24, 2010, 10:46:39 PM »

Breakout in 64x32 (magnified) pixels! Guess what "system" this is.
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

spinout

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Random junk
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 11:23:37 PM »

Chip-8?
biggrin.gif

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 11:37:13 PM »

Yeah - and to clarify, the interpreter is my work, the Breakout clone sadly isn't. Should've mentioned that before, huh?

Whatever. Anyway, the program's the result of two or so hours of total, plain boredom. It uses SDL and SDL_ttf and is compatible with standard Chip-8 images, plus it supports two of the HP-48 opcodes (Fx75, Fx85). Might be putting together a GUI for it, might be adding SCHIP etc. support, will also pack up the source and post it one of these days.
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

Arcaith

• Administrator
  • Keeping it real. Or something.
    • MSN Messenger - henna.gaikokujin@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 06:17:23 AM »

Oh lordy :D How many projects do you have now? You're as bad as I am XD Must be the name 'Daniel' or something XD
pantsu~

SirTopHat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 03:32:49 PM »

I've tried making a chip-8 emulator a few times but I just have no idea what to do, really.
fgsfds

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 04:17:10 PM »

Arcaith: I don't even wanna count the projects :P  There's at least OZMAV2 and its libraries (libMISAKA, libbadRDP), the SF64 Toolkit, Azunyan-8 (this program) and probably a translation of Digimon D-Project for WonderSwan. And besides those, I messed with some other random SDL projects (a modification of a particle system example, a Jump'n Run engine, a RPG engine), Neo Azuria (the Pokemon Gen 1 map viewer), and most likely more random crap...

SirTopHat: Maybe this site helps: http://www.codeslinger.co.uk/ - (semi-)tutorials about coding emulators, with the Chip-8 and Game Boy ones being pretty interesting. I referenced the latter myself when I was coding my (rather crappy) GB emulator.

EDIT:

Nice, huh? But now: to bed. 5:18am. Wonderful -.-
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:19:20 AM by xdaniel »
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 01:08:13 PM »

Cross-posting from EmuTalk:

- Written in C, using SDL, SDL_ttf and SDL_gfx
- Appears to be compatible with every regular Chip-8 game I've thrown at it

Download (Win32 binary): http://code.google.com/p/ozmav/downloads/detail?name=Azunyan8_v1.rar

Usage is simple; if the interpreter is started without any command line arguments, you get a file selection dialog (see screenshot 1) which allows you to open a Chip-8 program. In-game, you can press F11 to have a look at the remaining controls, while pressing F12 shows the about box and ESC exits the program. Here's hoping I didn't forget anything...

Source will be going up on the SVN sooner or later, also still gotta check if it builds under Linux...
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 04:29:50 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53fKVEq5uRk

Showcasing the brand new disassembler - not that anyone would want to hack a Chip-8 ROM or whatever :P
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 07:09:57 PM »

v3, Win32 build: http://code.google.com/p/ozmav/downloads/detail?name=Azunyan8_v3.rar

Also, source has been committed to the usual SVN, including - gasp - preliminary Wii support! It currently requires a USB keyboard for actually playing games (you can return to the loader with the Wiimote's Home button, tho), it has some sound problems in the form of a constant buzzing noise, and it's really not optimized for Wii usage at all at the moment (tiny font and all that) - basically, it works, but don't expect it to be pretty.

EDIT:

r205: Overhauled Azunyan-8's GUI and window sizing code, now has a fixed window size of 640x480, less awkward zooming and a second, bigger font used for some primary GUI elements, which also works wonder for Wii support - all this makes the GUI much more usable on that system. Still no actual Chip-8 input without USB keyboard there, tho.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:36:44 PM by xdaniel »
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 11:12:36 PM »

Okay, let's see what other random junk there is...

The latest piece of junk, which worked properly for the first time less than half an hour ago - a really simple LiveJournal client (C#, .NET Compact Framework v1-something) for M$' Pocket PC 2002, the ancient OS running on my bought-for-cheap-at-flea-market, battery-recently-replaced, waiting-for-PCMCIA-expansion-pack-coming-from-USA PDA, a Compaq iPAQ 3850:

Next, a kind of NES tile/nametable viewer - more or less just an experiment in SDL coding and trying to understand the NES PPU in preparation to writing a NES emulator (which I won't do, ex. exactly because of the PPU):

cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

SirTopHat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 12:07:34 AM »

Thought I'd replied to this already.
I've had that site bookmarked for a long time, I'm going to write the emulator some day.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:36:26 AM by SirTopHat »
fgsfds

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 01:33:28 AM »

Character encodings, codepages and the like suck. Spent 45 minutes trying to get ITLJ to properly post certain special characters to LJ - our German umlauts, for instance, ???????. It works now, the code sucks, but what the hell...

EDIT:

...unsent drafts can now be saved on exit and are restorable on restart. Why am I working on this anyway? And especially at this time of the day? I'm a moron, huh~?

EDIT 2:

Added a program icon and put together an installer CAB archive (copying stuff to Programs, making a Start Menu entry and all) - now it looks like a real Pocket PC application!

...now to wait for the aforementioned PCMCIA expansion, so that I can actually use this "on the road" (like at flea markets or wherever) :P
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:29:23 AM by xdaniel »
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 02:58:45 AM »

Starter Pokemon:

Name: Charmander (Charmander) (m)
Level: 5
HP: 19/19

OT: Kenta (ID: 32154)

Nature: Naughty

Attack:      12 (+)
Defense:     10 ( )
Sp.Attack:   11 ( )
Sp.Defense:  9 (-)
Speed:       11 ( )

Experience:  135 EXP (Group: Medium Slow)
To Next Lvl: 44 EXP
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------- pkdTestBattle(100) ----------
Now starting debug training; pushing Pokemon to level 100...

---------- Battle 1 ----------
Charmander, Level 5 VS Wild Bulbasaur, Level 6

Bulbasaur's turn:
Bulbasaur used DoubleSlap!
Charmander took 3 damage!
Bulbasaur -> HP: 23/23
Charmander -> HP: 16/19

Charmander's turn:
Charmander used Fire Punch!
Bulbasaur took 25 damage!
Bulbasaur fainted!
Charmander gained 54 EXP!
Charmander's level increased to 6!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Attack:      14 (+)
Defense:     11 ( )
Sp.Attack:   12 ( )
Sp.Defense:  10 (-)
Speed:       13 ( )

Experience:  189 EXP (Group: Medium Slow)
To Next Lvl: 47 EXP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---------- Battle 2 ----------

[...etc...]

---------- Debug training finished! ----------

Name: Charmander (Charmander) (m)
Level: 100
HP: 202/202

OT: Kenta (ID: 32154)

Nature: Naughty

Attack:      151 (+)
Defense:     121 ( )
Sp.Attack:   127 ( )
Sp.Defense:  101 (-)
Speed:       144 ( )

Experience:  1060131 EXP (Group: Medium Slow)
To Next Lvl: 9999999 EXP
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correct movesets are nonexistent - or, well, actually most moves are, just like most Pokemon, etc. The battle system's also not covering any damage modifiers outside of more simple things like STAB and type advantages, also PP depletion, and in turn Struggle when out of usable attacks aren't implemented, etc., but what's there should be accurate - experience calculation certainly is, that much I know.

And all logic so far is thanks to: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Game_mechanics
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

Mallos31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 04:36:01 AM »

Ya know? I've been working on a pokemon game for a while now. Using the same things from Bulbapedia. Mine's still text based as well, but I'm working on figuring out how to use sprites and maps and the like. I seriously wish I could figure it out. I've got a good battle engine, the function for text, and a FF1-Style Pokemon Center. LOL

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 03:15:34 AM »

01:09 am:

01:42 am:

04:06 am:

Good night. Game is the first Kunio-kun for GB, btw. You might know Kunio from River City Ransom or Nintendo World Cup for NES. Randomly looked at this (actually not all that good) game some four years back, hacked together a pretty bad level editor in VB6, now redoing it in C#, maybe even with stuff like enemy placement or something if I can find the data. Shouldn't be too difficult - if it's in any kinda sensical format - because the ROM's a mere 128KB in size.

C# feels like a weird little hybrid of C++ and VB... which is not a bad thing even, besides that it's officially of course M$ .NET Windows-only :P  I'm still way more at home with good old C, tho.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also messed with Azunyan-8's Wii support a bit yesterday, improved some stuff and got it halfway ready for input via Wiimote and Nunchuk.
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5