Z64

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Check out and improve the wiki!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: F3DEX to Fast3D conversion  (Read 15349 times)

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 136250978
    • View Profile
Re: F3DEX to Fast3D conversion
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 10:23:26 PM »

Small update: Not much has happened since 1) I haven't yet fully wrapped my head around SM64's and OoT's collision and 2) my work on the converter was interrupted twice this evening as a small-scale blackout hit our street, leaving us in the dark for about two and a half hours. I later on did get it to automatically insert some dummy map actors into the file, tho, meaning it sets up the map header properly for them and generates the data for three scarecrow-forgot-his-name actors. With the current data arrangement, there's actually room for 8 groups and 17 actors by default, but who needs 17 scarecrows or whatever? It's just a test. Maybe I'll later let the user load a text file or something where the actors plus position and rotation are specified or so, I dunno...

Anyway, if you want a taste of how it converts right now, here's Wet-Dry World's over-water part in zmap form: http://magicstone.de/dzd/random/test_sm64.zmap - this was made with just the command line "F3DtoF3DEX2.exe sm64.z64 test_sm64 0x07 0x01".

And just for the hell of it, the (not really interesting) output the converter gives: http://pastebin.com/m33177744
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

Zeth

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 10:53:45 PM »

The only thing stopping me right now from finishing up some imports is actually spinout's converter, it seems to be messing up textures bigger then 64 x 64, but also has for some reason messed up some 32 x 32 textures, showing some kind of discolouring in some models I've tested. But other then that, the map is pretty nicely done so far.

I've gotten it to render correctly in Max and export good, its basically waiting on the converter to work. Also noticed that sketchup models exported seem to have a corrupt vertex bug.

Rendering in 3DsMax 2010

Ingame screenshot

Also imported a map from Twilight princess(The Triforce cutscene) and had it use 32 x 32 textures, and I got the corrupt discolouring error, but other then that, it ported transparent textures perfectly. So keep up the good work spinout.

Here's a savestate for PJ64 1.6 for anyone wanting to test it out. :)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/llkdb0

@xdan - Your converter is coming along very nicely. I look forward to when you finally complete it. Keep up the good work man.

EDIT: Also was able to rip Super Smash Bros 64's Hyrule Castle perfectly :D

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:54:39 PM by Zeth »

spinout

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 03:12:42 AM »

If you pass along the source I could give my hand at scene file generation.
biggrin.gif

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 03:40:50 PM »

Status: not really working on the converter right now since I gave spin the source and am waiting for him to get back at me. However, I do have a small thing to report:

Unlike certain other programs of mine, especially like a certain bloated and buggy map viewer, this one compiles on Linux unchanged. Well, okay, I guess that's not much of a surprise since it's a purely console-based tool...
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

Zeth

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »

Very nice! :D
speaking of your viewer, how's it going?

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 09:58:40 PM »

I haven't really worked on OZMAV for a month or two. One thing is that I can't really think of anything else to implement - or, well, what I can think of is stuff I can't implement myself or don't have the patience for (ex. actor rendering, both in maps and standalone with animation). Otherwise, there's just bugfixes and such, like fixing Wavefront obj dumping, making sure it's not leaking memory, making sure the GUI's stable.

I'm pretty much at a point where I'm telling myself something like "well, it got somewhere in those one-and-a-half or whatever years, it's good enough and you should move on". I did toy around with the idea of rewriting it with portability in mind - not dumping the Windows API in favor of ex. GTK, but seperating the GUI code better from the interpreter and rendering engine, etc. - but I did that before on at least two occasions and nothing ever came from that.
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

spinout

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 07:50:43 AM »

Progress. Part of the collision reading isn't working though, so grass (among other things) is not being read. I'm pretty sure I know what's wrong, though.

EDIT:

holy crap these levels need to be scaled down like 2-4x. The courtyard happens to have perfect collision.

It reads more collision, but still somehow misses some of it. I'll need to talk to messiaen or someone more familiar with M64. Some levels port perfectly, others port horribly.

EDIT2:

Scaling. I also fixed a bug in F3D_SETGEOMETRYMODE -> G_GEOMETRYMODE that was messing some stuff up, i.e. fences having backface culling. Collision reading/converting is even better, but some of it is still missing.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 07:02:13 PM by spinout »
biggrin.gif

Zeth

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 08:33:38 PM »

I haven't really worked on OZMAV for a month or two. One thing is that I can't really think of anything else to implement - or, well, what I can think of is stuff I can't implement myself or don't have the patience for (ex. actor rendering, both in maps and standalone with animation). Otherwise, there's just bugfixes and such, like fixing Wavefront obj dumping, making sure it's not leaking memory, making sure the GUI's stable.

I'm pretty much at a point where I'm telling myself something like "well, it got somewhere in those one-and-a-half or whatever years, it's good enough and you should move on". I did toy around with the idea of rewriting it with portability in mind - not dumping the Windows API in favor of ex. GTK, but seperating the GUI code better from the interpreter and rendering engine, etc. - but I did that before on at least two occasions and nothing ever came from that.

Well I definitely think you did a great job on it, the progress you've put on it has just been amazing in such a short time really. Do you know where I could get a link of it again? Since the reformat, I've kind of lost a lot of things. :<
Also, with this conversion tool, its really impressive what you and spinout are doing with it. Once you guys complete it, do you plan to do a vice versa importing as well, OoT> SM64 or do you plan to try doing a conversion of BK/BT > OoT :o

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 08:50:54 PM »

About the converter, I've got the most recent code back from spin, with scaling etc., but haven't yet tried it out myself (keeping myself busy with an old Celeron 400 laptop I've got for free earlier ^^"). Converting from OoT to SM64 will be a problem, because of what I posted about in the first post - Fast3D's vertex buffer is 16 vertices, F3DEX2's is 32. And in regards to the Display Lists alone, BK/BT to OoT should be possible, but collision is something else entirely.

As for OZMAV, its Google Code page is http://code.google.com/p/ozmav/ - and get r76 for Wavefront obj dumping if you need it, it's broken in later revisions.
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

Zeth

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 02:49:40 AM »

About the converter, I've got the most recent code back from spin, with scaling etc., but haven't yet tried it out myself (keeping myself busy with an old Celeron 400 laptop I've got for free earlier ^^"). Converting from OoT to SM64 will be a problem, because of what I posted about in the first post - Fast3D's vertex buffer is 16 vertices, F3DEX2's is 32. And in regards to the Display Lists alone, BK/BT to OoT should be possible, but collision is something else entirely.

As for OZMAV, its Google Code page is http://code.google.com/p/ozmav/ - and get r76 for Wavefront obj dumping if you need it, it's broken in later revisions.

Well you could always hit up Cooliscool for how BK/BT Maps work since he made bottle's glasses, which he probably has a good idea of how the collision in BK/BT work :D

Also, thanks for the link to OZMAV, its really impressive what you've done with it, now did I see you mention something you wanted to implement was actor rendering? :o
I believe spinout did that in an old version of his Zelda viewer he wrote in python.

spinout

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 04:40:54 PM »

(02:23:12 PM) spinout: do you have docs on BK level format
(02:23:49 PM) spinout: or are the levels just models?
(02:24:11 PM) cooliscool: the levels are models alone, the level setup files do everything else
(02:24:33 PM) cooliscool: bk's pretty limited in the sense that actors have to be designed for an area to work
(02:25:31 PM) cooliscool: that's what stopped subdrag/icemario from developing an editor I think
(02:26:59 PM) spinout: what about collision
(02:27:21 PM) cooliscool: pretty sure it's with the levels/actors
(02:27:29 PM) cooliscool: no documentation though
(02:27:35 PM) spinout: hrm
(02:27:38 PM) spinout: project for another day
(02:28:25 PM) cooliscool: BK's got a specific "model" format with a complete header, it's pretty nice
(02:28:50 PM) spinout: Documented, or just implemented?
(02:29:13 PM) cooliscool: just implemented, but I could document it pretty quickly
(02:29:31 PM) spinout: well if you ever have some time, that'd be awesome
(02:29:43 PM) spinout: but don't sweat it
(02:29:48 PM) cooliscool: I'll do that for you asap
biggrin.gif

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 04:46:19 PM »

So no docs on collision? Guess that means digging through those setup files then.

Btw: 1) Am I imagining things or wasn't there a tool to recreate an OoT ROM from its extracted files? Or am I confusing this with zdec and directly creating a decompressed ROM? And 2) Is there any kind of IRC channel atm?
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

Zeth

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 05:49:16 PM »

So no docs on collision? Guess that means digging through those setup files then.

Btw: 1) Am I imagining things or wasn't there a tool to recreate an OoT ROM from its extracted files? Or am I confusing this with zdec and directly creating a decompressed ROM? And 2) Is there any kind of IRC channel atm?

If there was such a tool, I haven't heard anything about it.
Also, as far as an IRC channel, I don't think their is after the site was attacked and taken down from the public.

spinout

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2010, 06:24:33 PM »

1) Nope, only repackaging tools have been made.
2) irc.freenode.net/#z64

I got collision fully working after using Nemu's debugger on the data in question to see how SM64 does it. Video in 2secs.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6OhwwyidRQ
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 07:10:27 PM by spinout »
biggrin.gif

SirTopHat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2010, 08:12:50 PM »

cool stuff here
fgsfds
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4