Z64

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Check out and improve the wiki!

Author Topic: Pirates gone too far.  (Read 2621 times)

originaLink

• Wiki Contributor
    • MSN Messenger - censored@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - censored
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - censored
    • View Profile
    • censored
Pirates gone too far.
« on: July 26, 2011, 08:01:07 PM »

The other day my little brother purchaced pok?mon leaf green. So he asked me for a little help and guess what happened. the game gave the message "the save file is ok".. so what? Thats not normally in the game. I looked closer and the game has a battery, the sticker's too thin, and the circut isn't a normal agb circut. These were only thought to be found only in china or the web. This was aquired at gamestop. Is gamestop actually stocking up on bootleg games?!
"This account is active only for nostalgic purposes. I am off to bigger things but i may pop in once in a blue moon. I have no ill feelings but I'm just one individual."

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 136250978
    • View Profile
Re: Pirates gone too far.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:46:31 PM »

Well, do you expect GameStop to check every game cartridge they get in for authenticity? I remember our local GameStop having several bootleg carts back when they had bins of loose GBA carts. While going through them, I told the clerks that there's several bootlegs in there - Sonic Advance 3 and some others, I believe; no idea if they actually sorted them out or just left them in there.
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

Mallos31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 12:16:24 AM »

It happens pretty frequently. But my friend worked at Game Stop and they got stuff in all the time. He now has a large stock of bootleg games, and a copy of Emerald he got apparently isn't bootleg. He said the same thing about it, and it was apparently a japanese to american development cart. So there's cool stuff there too.

originaLink

• Wiki Contributor
    • View Profile
    • censored
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 03:36:09 AM »

Sounds about right. I guess that this happens once in a blue moon. The only thing that bothered me was paying top dollar. Also to my knowlage battery saves were discontinued by the time ruby and shapphire came out. most of the ones I've seen use flash ram for saves and an eprom for the game. My personal unit uses flash ram for both.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:16:28 AM by originaLink »
"This account is active only for nostalgic purposes. I am off to bigger things but i may pop in once in a blue moon. I have no ill feelings but I'm just one individual."

Naxylldritt

• View Profile
    • Finlandcycles
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 09:45:33 AM »

Sounds about right. I guess that this happens once in a blue moon. The only thing that bothered me was paying top dollar. Also to my knowlage battery saves were discontinued by the time ruby and shapphire came out. most of the ones I've seen use flash ram for saves and an eprom for the game. My personal unit uses flash ram for both.

Pretty sure battery saves lasted until Emerald (circa 2005) because I remember that "internal battery has run dry" message on VBA until I fixed it like a boss. Makes it a pain in the ass to have legit Game Boy nostalgia trips.

Mallos31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 03:52:48 AM »

My personal copy of emerald, which I have had for around 6 years, gives me that message all the time.

originaLink

• Wiki Contributor
    • View Profile
    • censored
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 09:28:45 PM »

Pretty sure battery saves lasted until Emerald (circa 2005) because I remember that "internal battery has run dry" message on VBA until I fixed it like a boss. Makes it a pain in the ass to have legit Game Boy nostalgia trips.
There's alot of extra code in the game that helps determine if its legit. Its not the rom that's fake, in most cases pirates actually do what one of us might do, google the rom and save it on a fake cart for instant profit (not accusing anyone but you get the picture). In FireRed in multiple rom dumps "buy it or die" can be seen at the S.S.Anne. Its in the game but only seen in fakes. My guess is that thats one way how games like "XD gales of darkness" tell its fake (but thats just speculation).
Also a while back I've seen why. I decided to replay my legit firered (the one that doesn't display the message "the save is ok") and the cart wasnt inserted properly. I saved and my save got corrupted but it stored a backup and treated it like I didn't save that time. batteries arn't even capable of this.
    Lastly dont get me started with visual boy advance. It's not even capable of displaying fog correctly. I never trusted it. my emu is a flashcart and game boy player.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:35:30 PM by originaLink »