Z64

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Check out and improve the wiki!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Some of my ideas, from the outlandish, to the impossible.. maybe.  (Read 14783 times)

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 136250978
    • View Profile
Re: Some of my ideas, from the outlandish, to the impossible.. maybe.
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 08:33:49 PM »

Yeah, the "scene" holds information that's global to the whole ex. dungeon, including the collision data. Each scene, in turn, contains a bunch of "maps" or "rooms" (the latter is actually the term the game's use internally) that hold ex. the visible mesh. Whenever Link uses a so-called "transition actor", thus ex. a door or similar, another room is loaded while the previous one get unloaded. Guess I'm just reiterating things here, but anyway.

As for OoT's original textures, you could ex. export the original maps to Wavefront .obj files and separate textures, which can be done, for example, by the map viewer OZMAV2. Download and extract it, drag an OoT ROM over OZMAV2.exe, in its console window type "loadscene xxx" (with xxx being the number of the scene you want to export, say 81 for Hyrule Field - I think that's 81, anyway) and then type "dumpobj" to dump that scene, which ends up in "<your OZMAV2 folder>\dump\<name of the game>\scene_<number>".

Hope that helps, or at least made some sense :P
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

spinout

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 12:54:30 AM »

Each room is a map. They don't have to be, but usually if you want a puzzle/enemies in each room they need to be their own map. And the collision (which is contained in the scene) is the collision for all the rooms put together
biggrin.gif

BlackRose

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 06:47:42 AM »

I actually have a newer converter written in C but it isn't directly usable for maps yet. You'll want to make sure you have textures that are no larger than 64x32, and have dimensions which are a power of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64). Don't worry about triangulation, all my converters triangulate automatically.

Just to clarify with this, spinout, should we have "triangulate faces" checked when exporting models?  Or should we leave it unchecked because the converter does it for you?

And will we see a public release of a new converter in the future?

spinout

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 08:47:49 AM »

I don't have a triangulation option. Don't worry about it. And yes, hopefully, when I get some reasonable free time. I'm currently working full time and I will soon be going to school full time so that's been taking up quite a bit of my time.
biggrin.gif

Anthus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 11:13:04 PM »

Just dropping by to show some overworld areas.

These are not textured, per se, but they are color coded to help me with texturing later on. I'd like ot make some ALttP textures; mostly just the mountains. These are of the areas around Link's House, and the "South Hyrule Field" area. I have not added certain things like bushes, rocks, and trees, because these will be added later on. As far as the SHF area, I'm not sure yet what to do with the large boulders littered about. I think they'd look odd in 3D, but I may just do shorter versions of what I did with the land formations to the west.

yay for high-res images, I finally go moved in to my new place, and got my big monitor hooked up to my laptop.

Jason777

• Wiki Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 02:39:02 AM »

I have not added certain things like bushes, rocks, and trees, because these will be added later on. As far as the SHF area, I'm not sure yet what to do with the large boulders littered about.
Just letting you know that bushes, rocks, trees, boulders, etc. are all actors. In other words, you wouldn't have to worry about going through the trouble of modelling unnecessary objects. Nice map by the way.

Arcaith

• Administrator
  • Keeping it real. Or something.
    • MSN Messenger - henna.gaikokujin@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 12:17:08 PM »

If I can offer a suggestion; rather than doing a near verbatim translation of the game into 3D, angular terrain and all; perhaps consider it as LttP in an OOT setting. Soften up the cliffs a little, change a few shapes and let the terrain roll up and down a little; it's a concept that can't be easily communicated in 2D, it seems a shame not to show it in 3D.
pantsu~

Anthus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 09:50:03 PM »

Yeah, that's crossed my mind before. There are certain areas of the overworld that will have to be somewhat redesigned, like the "Zora's River" area, and a few other little nooks. These areas will allow more creative deviance, but one thing I'd like to mention about the flatness of SHF, is that I will be adding the tall grass, and that will have some height difference in it to break up the flatness. Actually, just today I was thinking of maybe making the area a little less flat, but at this point, I dunno. I also kind of want to keep it as low-poly as possible to avoid having object pop up in the distance, and all that stuff. I might however, make the bottom mountain less flat, because it does look kind of awkward. I've actually modeled the dessert too, but I don't really like the way it turned out. That may be an area to change the shape of slightly.

I'm not so sure yet, what to do with Death Mountain. I think the way it is in ALttP might be kind of weird in 3D, even though it is the most depth defined area in the game, lol.

I don't know if this will work in OoT, but I kind of want to maybe have a curved narrow area connecting each part of the overworld so that the screen won't have to darken each time the player goes to another area. This is what they did in TP, and they used a similar trick in the Temple of Time, and Master Sword room.. I think the narrow areas are just buffers so the field around can load.

And thanks for the tip about bushes and rocks. I was pretty sure all that stuff was put in with the programs.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:52:30 PM by Anthus »

mzxrules

• Wiki Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 08:19:03 PM »

Ocarina of Time does this as well, but it works quite differently than in Twilight Princess. It's used in Kokiri Village (the path to the Great Deku Tree), and in Zora's River (the spot where the camera winds around that bridge segment).

The difference is that Twilight Princess keeps 3 maps in memory (in hyrule field only, not dungeons) at a time, where Ocarina only loads one. If I recall correctly from my CD-Streaming days, the windy paths consist of two maps so that only one 'big' map would be loaded at a time. The benefit to this is that connecting maps no longer have to contain visual data of the other map if you want the player to be able to see into the other map, unlike in OoT.

Arcaith

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 03:20:19 AM »

Yeah, in OOT you'll need to double up part of your visible mesh so that the common area is loaded for both maps. The transition should be seamless if you make sure you have the same actors on each side of the changeover and the UV mapping is the same. And don't use actors that can be destroyed around that area. That should produce a near perfect illusion that it's one area.
pantsu~

Anthus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 05:47:24 AM »

I just wanted to drop by to assure people who saw this stuff and liked it that I am still around. I haven't had a lot of time in the last month to work on this stuff.

Mallos31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 02:06:22 PM »

That's good because this stuff really does look great. And now that SharpOcarina is actually out they can be implemented 100%

Anthus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 05:04:40 PM »

That's good because this stuff really does look great. And now that SharpOcarina is actually out they can be implemented 100%

Really? That's awesome :D That was also a reason I had been away for a while. Without a surefire way to implement stuff, I lost some motivation.

I even have some screens of a rough mini dungeon I want to make for testing purposes. I have a few questions though, before I get too far along. Firstly, I remember someone saying doors must be a certain size, so those will be all implemented at once. I was also wondering, if I was going about this the right way. Every individual room in the dungeon should be a component, right? And, each group of a few rooms should be a group right? Then, you have the whole thing which makes up the collision mesh, right? I just want to make sure this is right, or get it right before I go any further with designing it.

Arcaith

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 06:37:54 AM »

I'll explain this as best as I can.

Each area isolated by transition actors is a map. Within that map, you might have several model groups, but they're all part of that map. So when you export each map, just export the bits that make up that individual map. Repeat for each map.

The collision mesh comprises all the surfaces you want the player to react to as solid. Walls, ceilings, floors. Whatever. Water surfaces shouldn't be included in this, water is defined by waterboxes later in the importer.

Insofar as doors are concerned, regular dungeon doors are 100 units high, 60 units wide and are 40 units deep, 20 units of which is attatched to one room on each side (so it's split along its depth halfway). Boss doors are 160 units high and 120 units wide. The boss door usually has exit collision on its far side to load up the boss room, so some visible geometry is also mirrored into an incomplete 'transition room'. The door actors themselves lack their own collision, so you have to seal up the doorways on either side on the collision mesh; often it's inset slightly into the frame by 5 units, though you can adjust that if it doesn't feel right.
pantsu~

Anthus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 03:21:08 AM »

Thank you, Arcaith, for the reply. I am now ready to begin attempting to import models, and test some stuff out, but I am a bit hung up on texturing, since I don't have the original OoT textures. I would really like to use those for this for simplicity's sake. I posted a thread requesting them, but in the mean time, here are some pictures of untextured stuff =D

I know the lack of textures makes them less interesting, but I know people like to see people's stuff anyway.

These first three should be somewhat familiar. This was the last thing I did with my 3D Link to the Past stuff. This model was made in about four hours, and I'm still not entirely happy with it. Part of me wants to scrap it completely, cause I feel like it will play weird in a real game, but I still do like it for the sake of it being a pretty accurate 3D AlttP Death Mountain. There is no Tower of Hera yet, or any bridges. Also, this is technically incomplete, cause at some point, I planned on adding some mountain geometry to be across the ridge south of the mountains to make it looks less like it was some free-floating SM64 map.

These next three are from an original work I have been making. I started drawing this map as a loose sketch for an idea I had for part of a dungeon, but it kind of took a shape of it's own. It will be a Shadow Temple/ BotW type area. One design concept for location that I tried to incorporate was the atmosphere of a prison block. The large open chapel looking area is not really part of it. This model file kind of became a sketch pad for ideas, but the bulk of the mini dungeon area is done model wise.

These three show a similar dungeon design outburst. This is a forest temple themed area. Sadly, the depth, and detail of the inner model cannot be seen in screens alone :(

I threw this in for shits and gigs. It was from way back before I even knew about UoT etc, and desiced to try and draw Level 1 from LoZ in Sketch-Up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3