Z64

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Check out and improve the wiki!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Multiple room maps with Obj2Area?  (Read 8435 times)

Jason777

• Wiki Contributor
    • View Profile
Multiple room maps with Obj2Area?
« on: August 28, 2010, 05:29:27 AM »

I already know how to apply a mesh for a map so i was just wanting to know how create like a multiple room map? I understand that it also deals with the mesh option and i have tio place transition actors?

spinout

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Multiple room maps with Obj2Area?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 08:00:30 AM »

First, make sure you are using the latest object converter, currently release 5. Then, when you make your model, make one model for the collision of all rooms, then split that up into separate rooms, and each of those will be a separate room of the whole scene you import. When obj2area aks for the object to use for collision, give it the collision one, when it asks if you want to do a multiple room import, say 'y' or yes, then enter each map until they are all entered, in which case you leave the 'Obj:' feild blank, and it will do the import. Once your import is done, it should save your setup to obj2area.setup, so you can do the import again without entering everything twice.
biggrin.gif

Arcaith

• Administrator
  • Keeping it real. Or something.
    • MSN Messenger - henna.gaikokujin@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 01:05:01 PM »

After the map is imported, setting up the transition actors is fairly simple if the defaults aren't what you want. First of all, you need to assign which maps the actors are loaded on. Loading up the scene in a hex editor, there should be a pointer to where the transition actors are (there's some documentation on finding all this stuff somewhere). The first 4 values of each control which maps the actors are active on, and the transition style (in the case of doors). Generally the style can be set to 00 or FF. However, the more complex part of this process lies in whether you have a barred door. The map number listed first (I think) is the side that the bars will be on. This makes things a little tricky, because you also have to get the rotation right to make sure the correct side of the door is facing toward the right map. If you don't do this, then room changing black plains will load the maps the wrong way around, and doors (which have no visible back sides) will behave oddly.

There's more, but I'll stop here to make sure you've got it all so far. I should drop a line to xdan to get him to implement editing of this data into OZMAV2.
pantsu~

Jason777

• Wiki Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 01:14:53 PM »

so i would have to manually place and give the correct rotation of the transition actors via hex editor? Is there any program in which it has the tool to edit the transition actors? It would make things a lot easier... btw i've done the multiple mesh option and i have the dumped map so thnx for your help with that part.

Arcaith

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 03:15:26 PM »

Some versions of Utility of Time allow for the positioning of scene actors, but I'm fairly sure rotation still has to be done manually, as does setting transition values.
pantsu~

spinout

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 04:21:28 PM »

ZAPPY can do all the actor positioning you need.
biggrin.gif

Jason777

• Wiki Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 06:36:50 PM »

Hmmm.... I just read the readme and im well on my way to placing the transition actors with zappy. Thanks alot spinout! I will post how it goes later

spinout

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 07:13:10 PM »

biggrin.gif

Jason777

• Wiki Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 02:17:03 AM »

So i can get the transition actors to show in the map by the simple handywork in ZAPPY like changing the variables, and actor numbers. BUT, they lack collision :( I can open and close the doors but i can still walk right through them. The rooms don't even load up when i go through the door some i'm just standing in the middle of the air on a invisible floor. Could the map not loading up be my own fault and i was supposed to do something else other than the steps you listed or could be because the door doesn't have collision?... I'm at a loss now :/

Arcaith

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 02:27:04 AM »

Yeah, doors have no collision at all. If you load up a map with UoT (don't recall ZAPPY displaying collision) and take a look at a doorway, there's collision set about 5 units into the doorway to stop the player from walking right through the door. This applies to both dungeon doors, and the doors of houses etc.
pantsu~

Jason777

• Wiki Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 03:38:33 AM »

So i would have to edit the collision in UoT?... aww i already tried loading up the same map once for actor placement and it froze when i double clicked the corresponding zmap /: so i would have to somehow edit the collision for the door?

Mallos31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 04:28:28 AM »

That's...retarded...

spinout

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 07:23:02 AM »

Collision for doors should be part of your collision OBJ.
biggrin.gif

Arcaith

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 09:50:26 AM »

I think you misunderstand me, Jason. When you make your collision mesh, make sure you've put planes in place in the doorways, one on each side for dungeon ones and just the one for loading doorways like house doorways that change scenes.

If you've positioned your scene actors already, copy their hex data down before reimporting and recopy it into the new scene. Saves repositioning them manually, and keeps your variables, rotation etc exactly the same.
pantsu~

Mallos31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 03:42:12 PM »

Why in the world do the doors not have collision??? That's stupid!
Pages: [1] 2 3