Z64

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Check out and improve the wiki!

Author Topic: Missing pokemon in Yellow  (Read 4479 times)

Mallos31

• View Profile
    • Email
Missing pokemon in Yellow
« on: September 02, 2010, 04:25:28 AM »

Okay, I've been looking at a list of pokemon values and I noticed a few missing. So I started messing around and found that when you put them into memory, they just so happen to crash the game, but in a really weird way. No matter which one I use, it seems to try to write an address (maybe a pointer) to another address (which makes sense, that being kinda how pointers work (spinout, no correcting me :P)) The address is always 6bea, and it always tries to write f768 (or a value really close to that) when I disassemble it, and look at the PC, it's only on 6bea when I use those codes, and it only really writes to it when I use them. So I'm curious as to what is going on... and maybe if we can find some of this old pokemon data. Also, Missingno. usually has Water Gun, Water Gun, and Wing Attack, but these MissingNo. have different attacks. It's very strange. Being a very inexperienced hacker, there is little I can do from here on... unless I get some help. So yeah...

distraction

• View Profile
Re: Missing pokemon in Yellow
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 07:47:10 AM »

Ask coolboyman

Mallos31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 02:47:50 PM »

Is he on here? Or do I need to PM him? I'll just pm him.

Mallos31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 03:10:28 PM »

Well, he never replied O.o oh well. I'm not gonna spam him or anything.

Gary22

• Game Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »

Um how there is missing pokemon in yellow? It allows you to collect all 151 pokemon at the time of its release whether through trade or wild capture.

Mallos31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 04:02:40 PM »

:) There were originally more pokemon, More ideas. There's just too many places that Missingno. appears. I wrote a quick and dirty program that dumps all the text in the game that's in capital letters to a text file. Missingno appears a lot of times, the first one is after Tangela, which happens to evolve in a later generation. :P So there are missing pokemon.

Gary22

• Game Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 05:51:20 PM »

Perhaps it was suppose to hold some of the later game's evolutions but they happen to decide against it cause of possible complications of transferring pokemon between Red, Blue and Yellow.

Mallos31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 04:52:55 PM »

Yeah, possibly. We know that Togepi was supposed to be in R/B/Y because there were screenshots from forever ago. And mention of it. They just never seemed to put it in there. They had ideas for a lot of pokemon for the first gen, but they didn't want to put as much work into something they thought was going to fail so miserably. They really did think that too.

Gary22

• Game Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 05:28:52 PM »

I think they didn't know really how the populace would take the game's different approach from a lot of RPG's and turn based battles. Which I can see being a cautious move but in terms, I think they should of just added the stuff they wanted to anyways as an all or nothing effort.

xdaniel

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 136250978
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 06:33:01 PM »

Togepi in Generation 1? Nah, don't think so. It first appeared on Nintendo's Japanese website for G/S in mid-1999, after first showing up in the anime in June 1998. If anything, Donphan, Ampharos and Ho-Oh are candidates for having been planned for Generation 1, not Togepi, considering they show up on said website as early as June 1997, not to mention the latter appearing in the very first episode of the anime, in April 1997, over two years before Generation 2 kicked off officially with G/S' release in November 1999.

Also, screenshots and the like of Togepi in Generation 1 can easily be faked, either by old-fashioned Photoshopping, or by being smart and hacking either a ROM or save state to have another Pokemon appear to be Togepi.
cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

Mallos31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 01:44:58 PM »

Yeah, I've done that. The modifying the save, RAM, or even the ROM. I've replaced a Missingno. with a Ho-oh just becasue, and it worked. But yeah, that's probably why Missingno.'s type is Bird. There is no Bird type. Ho-Oh was probably Bird type. Marill was also going to be in there. There was a partially deleted sprite found of it in pokemon green.

Wareya

• View Profile
    • Email

Mallos31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 04:51:35 AM »

Yeah, LOL I found that. I works pretty well. I found something in the rom alluding to Togepi and something else for Phanpy. That's about it...